Friday 16 July 2010

The Super Grain I Highly Recommend

If you've been following my newsletters for a while, you know that I am not really an advocate of "grains" in general. The "food pyramid" promotes lots of grains, especially whole grains, while I generally do not.

The reason is because grains generally convert to sugar in the body, and many people have wheat and gluten intolerance, as well as inflammation in the body due to consuming lots of processed foods, as well as chemicals, pesticides, and toxins such as sugar and caffeine. When your cells get inflamed, that's when trouble occurs in one form or another in your body.

I always say, if you want to stay off of gluten AND reduce inflammation, stay off of grains! Grains generally contain wheat. Lots of people, especially if you are an "O" blood type, don't do well with wheat. I am an "O" blood type, and was told I was allergic to wheat when I was younger.

There is one grain, however, that I DO recommend, and it is a "super grain" in my opinion. It is called Quinoa. (Pronounced Keenwa). It is wheat free, gluten free, is super digestible, is full of protein and fiber, and cooks in 15 minutes.

Just a sidenote ~ even with quinioa, I don't recommend eating too much of it. In my opinion, although it is a "super" grain, it is still a grain, nonetheless, and eating too much of it makes me personally a bit tired. Hopefully you get the picture. It is, however, good for you!

You don't even need to eat meat or another protein with it, because quinoa, by itself, is a complete protein. I personally love it, and I've got a great recipe for it below that I made last week. It was another hit, so I took a picture of it, and am sharing it with you below!

Here's also a great Quinoa Recipe to try:
"Quinoa with Black Beans and Spinach!
Ingredients:
one cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 can black beans
1 onion
2 bags of spinach
tablespoon of garlic powder
1/4 stick organic butter
pinch of sea salt
pinch of pepper

Salad (optional) with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

In a medium pot, add one cup of quinoa, 2 cups of water, 1/4 stick of butter and bring to a boil. Then add a pinch of sea salt and pepper and one tablespoon of garlic powder and stir. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes. Chop up one onion.

After 10 minutes, in a separate pan, put two bags of spinach in olive oil. Add in a little garlic powder, a pinch of sea salt and pepper. When spinach starts to wilt, add in a can of organic black beans, the cooked onions and stir for a couple of minutes. When the quinoa is done, mix all together and it's simply delish!

Put a side salad together if you like! I did this above, and it is a great dish! Simple and take about 20 minutes to make in total.

See Also : Flowering Tea Delicious Snack Store Health Food Vitamin

No comments:

Post a Comment