Thursday 16 September 2010

Making a Zucchini Casserole Kids Will Love

As I write this article, I smell a zucchini casserole cooking in my oven. This is an incredibly easy recipe to make and even my daughter, who is not a vegetable lover, likes this casserole.

I discovered this recipe when I found a six pack of zucchini on sale at a local warehouse store. I bought the zucchini, scoured the internet for recipes and then created the casserole based on the many recipes I had found and read.

It turns out that I only need four larger zucchini or five medium sized zucchini. After peeling them, I use a chopper to chop them into small pieces. I know many recipes call for round slices. I was afraid the kids wouldn't eat the casserole with large round slices so I chopped the pieces. Using a chopper it only takes me three minutes to peel, cut and then chop all five zucchini.

Put the pieces into a mixing bowl. I then add in about three tablespoons of minced onion. If your family likes onion and doesn't mind the pieces of cooked onion, consider using half of an onion chopped, instead of the flakes. For us, the flakes add the flavor without the pieces.

Next, add in one cup of shredded cheese. We've used mild cheddar, sharp cheddar and a Mexican blend. We've enjoyed the casserole with each of these tastes. Try different cheeses, as each cheese provides a unique flavor for your casserole. We then add in one egg and one cup of mayonnaise. I use either non fat or low fat mayonnaise when I make this dish. All of the recipes I've found call for salt and pepper. I don't use either. If you're a family that enjoys the added flavor of salt and pepper, then add to your taste.

Mix everything together in the bowl and then transfer to a casserole dish. If you want to, sprinkle cheese on top. I suggest a Parmesan cheese on the top. If you don't have Parmesan at home, sprinkle on a bit of whatever you used in the casserole.

Put the casserole into an oven preheated to 350 degrees. Set the timer for forty five minutes. Check to see how brown the casserole is. If you believe it's as brown as you'd like, cover for the last fifteen minutes of cooking. If you'd like the casserole to brown a bit more, continue to leave uncovered. Cook for an additional fifteen minutes.

The casserole is very soft. We are not able to cut it into squares. Instead we just serve it one serving at a time to each diner's plate.

My kids love this casserole and I love that they're eating a full serving of vegetables at dinner time.

See Also : Infant Milk Cheese Store. LOWER Prices in The Same Item

No comments:

Post a Comment